Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Girl power

Since the last post concern geek-stuff, I think it is about time that Glooby talks about something else. After all, hey, this is the place for Anything on Everything, we have to keep up the reputation right?

What subject attracts most of the very masculin world of information technology? I am not saying that IT world is an exclusive territory for this gender but we have to admit that at least 51% of its population is male. Apart of geek-stuff, I think we can agree that subjects about women attract you -I consider you part of this population since you are reading this- like honey attracts bees.

For the male majority, these creatures are particularly interesting because there are not many of them, at least not in IT. Thus, the economic law of offers and demands which works miraculously for most things in life, applies to the current situation : women in IT hold apparently a certain value or if I might say a certain sort of VIP label.

I have never realized this importance until recently. I overheard these VIP's conversations for more than ten times in a month-time telling one another how they are proud to have made this guy and that guy work for them even without having to flutter their beautifully painted eye-lashes. I did not voice my protest, of course, mind you but I do not want to be accused of being jealous even if I were.

Looking back to my personal experiences, I remember how I was really pissed out when some male geek in my surrounding were sneering at me for trying to compete with them. I swear that I could read the you-know-nothing look in their eyes. And then I met the same regard in one of my professors when I made my project presentation sometime ago. I think I should have made a before-and-after picture of him to let you all know how IT women's skills are underestimated at present time. We ended up in a long discussion about the subject during which I wanted so much to glue up a post-it on his forehead written "macho-man".

What can I say? Whether skills or skills, I am a witness of girl power. But as people say, do not judge a book by its cover, even if very often cover does not lie!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home